Saturday, January 22, 2011

Take the good with the bad

As per the title's promise, this entry brings both good news and bad news. I'll begin with the bad, as it happened before the good.

My neighbor's apartment was broken into Friday morning and her new $1200 Mac Book as well as her most valued jewlery were stolen. There was no forced entry, so the intruder obviously had a key to her apartment, as the door was locked when she left for work in the morning. We don't know how this person got ahold of a copy of the key, being that the only supposed people with the key are she and the landlord, who also confessed that he does not change the locks on the doors whenever someone moves out. Yes, it'd be work to change the locks everytime someone left, but I do feel it the necessary duty of the landlord to make sure his studios are secure before renting them out to young foreign girls. Luckily she has renter's insurance here in France which will hopefully cover some, if not all, of the loss. I certainly hope no one has a copy of the key to my apartment. (Her lock is now changed, btw, so this will not happen again *knock on wood*...although they'd have to have some nerve to come back and try it again.)

And the good news...I got a tutoring job! Sylvette works with a man whose son is 10 years old and has two penpals in the U.S. The family will be going to Washington D.C. in October to meet one of them and they want their son to be ready to understand and speak American English. Sylvette told them about me and they contacted me earlier this week. So, today I went to meet the family and it turns out they want to pay me double what I asked just to chit chat and play games in English with this kid once a week! Thanks, Sylvette! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment